The 5 Best Portable Handheld Digital Oscilloscopes
Those who work as professional electricians will want to have the best portable handheld digital oscilloscopes, which help them install and troubleshoot electrical systems in a quick and efficient way. Even weekend warriors will find it beneficial to have these devices, particularly if they frequently do electrical-related DIY tasks.
But, if you’re shopping around for these products, how exactly can you choose the best portable handheld digital oscilloscopes? Well, you can start by learning about the top makes and models, which include the following:
1. SainSmart DSO203 Handheld Digital Oscilloscope Kit
- Two 72Mhz analog channels and two digital channels
- AD9288-40 dual A/D converter analogue channels from 36MS/s to 72MS/s.
- Signal Generator,Auto Measurement,Various Triggering Option
- Easy waveform storage,Firmware upgrade,User applications,Open source
- Built-in 8M USB disk
This unit is designed based on ARM cortex M3 and has two digital channels and two 72 Mhz analog channels that have integrated FPGA and high speed ADC. It also comes with a signal generator, an auto measurement function, and a built-in 8M USB disk that promotes easy and efficient wavelength storage. The DSO203 comes with open-source user applications and has regular firmware updates.
2. Owon HDS1022M-N Series HDS-N Handheld Digital Storage Oscilloscope
- Handheld unit combines a two-channel digital oscilloscope for viewing electrical signals with a digital multimeter for measuring voltage, current, resistance, and capacitance
- Oscilloscope's maximum real-time sample rate is 100 to 500 MS/s (depending upon the model) and record length is 6,000 points per channel for acquiring detailed waveforms
- Manual- and auto-ranging multimeter provides options for user control
- 3.7" color TFT-LCD for viewing waveforms and measurements
- Meets EN 61010-1:2001 safety standard, and is rated for CAT II installations to 400V
The HDS1021M combines a digital oscilloscope with a digital multimeter, creating a device that can view electrical signals and measure current, voltage, resistance, and capacitance. As a result, you can have two tools in one package, and you’ll get to enjoy added convenience (since you no longer have to lug around two separate devices) while getting great value for money.
3. Signstek Nano ARM DS202 Portable Digital Storage Oscilloscope
- Signstek Digital Oscilloscope Series
If you want to have an oscilloscope but don’t have a large budget, this unit is for you. It’s cheaper compared to other models, but it has all the features you need to tackle basic electrical tasks. It comes with a 1 MHz analog bandwidth, a 10 MHz maximum sample rate, and an 8K sample memory depth. The unit is only 11mm thick and weighs less than 10 ounces, so you can easily put it in your bag and bring it with you wherever you go.
4. Xminilab Portable Handheld Pocket Oscilloscope
- Mixed Signal Oscilloscope: Simultaneous sampling of analog and digital signals
- Arbitrary Waveform Generator with Sweep on all parameters
- Spectrum Analyzer with different windowing options and selectable vertical log
- Protocol Sniffer: UART, I2C, SPI
- USB connectivity: Windows, Linux, MAC, Android
This unit is actually a pocket oscilloscope, a waveform generator and a protocol sniffer all in one compact package. It’s a mixed signal oscilloscope, so it can sample analog and digital signals at the same time. It comes with a curve tracer function, a wide range of display options (including persistence and various grid options), vertical and horizontal cursors, and a spectrum analyzer with windowing options.
5. Fluke 190-202/AM/S 2 Channel LCD Color ScopeMeter Oscilloscope
- Handheld unit combines a two-channel digital oscilloscope for viewing electrical signals with a digital multimeter for measuring voltage and resistance
- Real-time sample rate is 625Ms/s for 60MHz models, 1.25GS/s for 100MHz models, 2.5GS/s for 200MHz models, and 5GS/s for 500MHz models, and record length is 10,000 points per channel for acquiring detailed waveforms
- Zoom function, three math functions plus FFT, and automatic and cursor measurements for analyzing waveforms
- 6" color LCD shows up to four readings or waveforms simultaneously
- Meets EN and IEC 61010-1:2001 and 61010-031:2002+A1:2008, ANSI/ISA 61010-1 (82.02.01), and CAN/CSA C22.2 61010-1-04 safety standards, and is rated CAT III installations to 1,000V and CAT IV installations to 600V
Even if it’s more expensive than other units, the 190-202/AM/S is worth every penny you spend. It’s a combination of a digital oscilloscope and a digital multimeter and comes with a zoom function, automatic and cursor measurements, and three math functions with FFT. It also has a 6-inch color LCD that lets you view up to four readings at the same time. The 190-202/AM/S is available in several bandwidth measurements (60 MHz, 100 MHz, 200 MHz, and 50 MHz), so you can choose the right model for you.
These are just some of the best portable handheld digital oscilloscopes you can find in the market. Learn more about these products to select the oscilloscope that best suits your needs and budget.