Best Gaming Router Buyers Guide and Reviews 2017-2018
Gaming routers should have stable connections at fast speeds to ensure there is no lagging while games are played. With heavy network traffic and the number of devices connected to a single internet connection, investing in the best gaming router is significant.
When you use faster gaming routers other than traditional wireless routers, there are numerous benefits:
- Network traffic management starts from the router’s end. Since it comes with the Quality of Service (QOS) feature, bandwidth delivery is efficient even during online gaming.
- It puts your connection on top of the priority list of the game server for less lag in gaming.
- Despite multiple devices connected to the network, a fast gaming router allows the gamer to access the high-speed bandwidth for lag-free gaming.
Best Gaming Router for Home Use
Most Budget Friendly: Linksys EA3500-NP Router Smart WiFi N750 5GHz (EA3500-NP)
- Dual-band wireless supports high bandwidth applications such as video streaming or file sharing, Wireless-N technology uses multiple radios to create a robust signal that travels farther and faster, with reduced dead spots.
- Two spatial streams (2TX and 2RX) for 2.4G band and three spatial streams for 5G band (3TX and 3RX)., Up to 300+450Mbps Wireless Data Rates. 1 x 10/100/1000M WAN; 4 x 10/100/1000M LAN
- Two spatial streams (2TX and 2RX) for 2.4G band and three spatial streams for 5G band (3TX and 3RX)., Mobile App Enabled
- Mac & Windows Compatible, Linksys N750 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit & USB Ports, Smart Wi-Fi App Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (EA3500)
With its affordable price, this plug and play gaming router for the home is easy to configure and has a streamlined design. Not bulky, unlike other routers, the distance range is long, with strong connectivity even from a distance of 20 feet.
With wireless compatibility at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, this model has 4-Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 2.0 port. Its features include QOS traffic management for reduced buffering by identifying and prioritizing high-bandwidth activities, Linksys Smart WiFi mobile app and website compatibility and advanced wireless security with WPA/WPA2 encryption and an SPI firewall.
Top of the Line: Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual-Band+ Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA, Smart Wi-Fi Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (WRT1900AC)
- 4 High-performance Antennas For Maximum Coverage & Reliability
- 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz Simultaneous Dual Wireless Bands For A Strong, Reliable Wi-Fi Signal That Eliminates Dead Zones Even In Multistory Homes
- Beam forming Technology Allows The Router To Strengthen The Wireless Signal To Specific Devices
- Professional-grade, 1.2 Ghz Dual-core Arm Cpu
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports Are 10 Times Faster Than Fast Ethernet To Provide The Fastest Wired Speeds
Three descriptions fit this home gaming router: formidable processor, high performance antennas and beamforming technology. This product from Linksys offers incomparable WiFi performance with its four, adjustable antennas for maximum signal strength and wide coverage for its dual band (2.4 GHz and 5GHz) performance. These bands boasts of transfer speeds of up to 1.3 Gbps and an amplifier that can maximize signal strength even in large homes.
The powerful dual core processor allows multiple users to play online games, transfer media files and stream movies at the same time without lagging. Aside from the four Gigabit Ethernet ports for wired connectivity, there is also a USB 3.0 port to connect a wired device as well as dual eSATA/USB 2.0 port for file and media transfers. In addition to its Linksys Smart WiFi software to control your home network remotely, it is also open source ready for customization of firmware by more advanced users.
Editors Choice: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router (R6700)
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1500 sq ft wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual band up to 450 + 1300 Mbps).
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 25 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- LOADED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more.
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port.
This exquisitely designed dual band WiFi router boasts of four LAN ports, one WAN, one USB 2.0 port and one 3.0 port. Not only is it fast enough for all gaming purposes, but also, it does not lag even with connecting 12 or more devices.
The AC1750 Wi-Fi- router has 450+1300 Mbps speeds and high-power external antennas that ensure long range and stable connectivity. It supports beamforming which is crucial for speed boosting and performance for devices at 2.4 and 5GHz. The Nighthawk AC1750 is also compatible with the NETGEAR genie app which lets the user access the home network remotely for easy monitoring, management and repair.
Best Gaming Router Under or Around 100$
Most Budget Friendly: Linksys N600+ Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit Ports (EA2750)
- Fast data transfer rates up to N600 for reliable networking
- Simultaneous dual bands double bandwidth maximize throughput and reduce interference
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports deliver blazing fast wired speeds to HDTVs, gaming consoles and more
- USB 2.0 port can connect an external storage or other device to share content across your network
- Simultaneous dual bands double bandwidth maximize throughput and reduce interference & two external, adjustable antennas provided added Wi-Fi signal strength
For a very affordable prize, this gaming router has 4-Gigabit Ethernet ports that deliver fast speeds to gaming consoles as well as HDTVs. It is dual-band enabled and also comes with two external, adjustable antennas for stronger WiFi connectivity. Transfer data rates are fast and can reach up to N600 for reliable WiFi connection at the home and the workplace, from its N300 + N300 Mbps wireless speeds.
It uses Smart WiFi technology that allows for remote access to enable user to monitor and configure the network conveniently from anywhere. The Gigabit Ethernet ports can perform 10x faster than Fast Ethernet high-bandwidth wired connectivity.
Top of the Line: TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Router – Long Range, High Powered, Dual Band, Gigabit (Archer C9)
- One of wireless routers for home which is compatible with all Wi Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Gigabit router with 4 gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, also ideal as gaming router
- Long range coverage by 3 external antennas. FCC<30dBm
- Beamforming technology makes the router smart detecting where you need fast wi fi
- 1GHz powerful dual core processor easily handles multiple devices (laptops, tablets, phones, smart home, Alexa enabled devices and more).Operating Temperature: 0℃~40 ℃ (32 ℉~104℉)
Slim and elegant in design, this gaming router supports 802.11ac and is dual band (2.4GHz at 600Mbps and 5GHz at 1300Mbps). For focusing on your WiFi signal, this product uses beamforming technology for easy wireless device location and strong wireless connectivity. Its 5GHz band is best for online gaming and 4K Ultra HD video streaming.
Aside from the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports for sharing media, files and printers, this affordable, top of the line router also comes with three (3) detachable antennas. It is also powered by 1Ghz dual-core processor for maximum performance with simultaneous use of wired and wireless connections.
Editors Choice: TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750)
- Upgrade from wireless N (802.11n) to an AC wireless WiFi network and eliminate rental fees
- This includes the router that the New York Times' hailed as "The Best Router for Most People" and winner of PCMag.com's Editor's Choice award, bundled with a high speed TC-7610-E DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem
- Archer C7 features include: 6 antennas (3x external and 3x internal), AC1750 WiFi (Up to 138 percent faster than AC750), and a powerful CPU for high-speed processing
- Additional features include: 2x USB 2.0 ports to connect printers, external hard drives, and file sharing
- TC-7610-E features include: Eliminating your cable modem montly rental fees, 8x4 channel bonding, up to 343Mbps download speeds
The TP-Link Archer C7 is designed with six powerful antennas, three of which are located inside while the other three are external attachments. Moreover, its built-in CPU allows high-speed processing even when multiple devices are connected.
The processor enables seamless connectivity best for streaming movies, sharing media and playing online games without interruption and buffering. Conversely, the dual USB port feature makes connection to external hard drives and printers possible.
The dual bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) are capable of delivering up to 1750 Mbps of fast WiFi speed. With its price of less than $100, this router comes with intuitive mobile interface that lets you manage your WiFi using the TP-Link Tether app, for both iOS and Android devices. Other features are Privacy with Guest Network Access and IP-based Bandwidth Control.
Best Gaming Router For Pros
Best Seller: ASUS RT-AC3200 Wireless-AC3200 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security
- Smart Connect automatically selects the fastest band for all devices individually, based on their demands and capabilities
- Built-in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports for up to 10-times faster data transfers to USB storage devices1, printer sharing, and 3G/4G dongle support
- ASUSWRT graphical user interface for easy, CD-free 30-second setup and hassle-free advanced network control.Dimension:11.4x 7.4 x2.28 inches (WxDxH) (Without Bezel)
- Protection with Trend Micro with triple-strength total network security, plus robust parental controls and privacy protection
- ASUS AiCloud 2.0 lets you access, sync, share and stream your files anywhere, on any internet-connected device. Coverage- Large homes. Wi-Fi Technology-Beamforming- standard-based and universal, 256QAM high data rate, 20/40/80 MHz bandwidth
This tri-band wireless router is designed with built-in 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports which allows faster data transfers and print sharing as well 3G/4G dongle support. Its new feature, the Tri-Band Smart Connect technology makes it possible for the router to boost the performance of each connected mobile device. With a combined data rate of 3200 Mbps, 2600 Mbps coming from two 5 GHz bands and the 600 Mbps on its 2.4 GHz band, pro gamers can expect uninterrupted gaming experience.
This model has 4-Gigabit Ethernet ports and is powered by a dual core processor. Moreover, it boasts of a three-transmit and three-receive (3T3R) antenna design for wide distance coverage, on top of its AiRadar beamforming support feature.
Top of the Line: Linksys WRT AC3200 Open Source Dual-Band Gigabit Smart Wireless Router with MU-MIMO, Tri-Stream 160 (WRT3200ACM)
- Fast wireless router provides WiFi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified Operating Systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (Works with Windows 10)
- Tri Stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Dual band WiFi speeds up to 2.6 Gbps (2.4 GHz / 600 Mbps) + (5 GHz / 2600 Mbps).Operating Temperature: 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)
This top-of-the-line model from Linksys comes with two dedicated WiFi bands that offer amazingly fast combined speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps with Tri-Stream 160 technology. The 2.4 GHz band has a speed of up to 600 Mbps while the high-speed 5 GHz can deliver up to 2.6 Gbps, perfect for online gaming for professional gamers.
Meanwhile, Mu-MIMO technology is capable of fast WiFi speeds even with multiple device connections. Additionally, this gaming router is open-source ready and has an updated Smart WiFi app for managing and monitoring the network remotely. It also comes with 256 MB Flash and 512MB RAM memory for speeding up data transfers. Equipped with an enterprise-grade dual core processor, this model can deliver fast results and handle heavy network traffic with slowing down connection.
Editors Choice: TRENDnet TEW-818DRU Wireless AC1900 Router
- AC1900: 1300 Mbps Wireless AC + 600 Mbps Wireless N bands
- High speed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 share ports
- Pre-encrypted for your convenience
- Create an isolated guest network
- One touch network connection with the WPS button
With compact router comes in vertical orientation and designed with five Gigabit ports, four LAN and one WAN, along with two USB ports (3.0 and 2.0). This dual band router has built-in antennas capable of providing two concurrent networks for connection of more gamers.
The LED indicators are clearly visible and the control panel is clean and simple. It also allows for guest access and parental control. This powerful router is versatile and boasts of wireless throughput of 1900 Mbps. This model offers maximum performance with wired and wireless connections, pro users can enjoy.
Gaming routers offer dynamic QOS that allows faster internet connectivity and data transfers as opposed to ordinary routers. The best routers fit for playing games online are optimized and equipped to accommodate multiple devices without suffering lags. However, some can be pretty expensive. That said, it’s important to choose one that fits your budget and preference.