4 of the Best Light Meters You Have To See
For amateur and professional photographers and video enthusiasts, handheld light meters are significant tools to ensure exposures are accurate. In choosing the best light meter, there are certain factors to consider, such as, exposure measurement and ability to read reflected light. With a myriad of models to choose from, it can be hard to make the right choice. To help you get started, here are some options to choose from.
1. Extech LT300 Light Meter
- Backlight for readings in low light levels
- Large LCD display with analog bargraph
- Utilizes precision photo diode and color correction filter
- Remote light sensor on 12" coiled cable - expandable to 24"
- Relative and peak modes
This model is a rugged and compact photography light meter that is capable of measuring level in 5 ranges. It also has an LCD display with an analog bar graph that is large enough to read and interpret the data. One of the features this model boasts of is a remote light sensor on 12” coiled cable that is also expandable to 24”. Moreover, it is also perfect to check lighting in hallways, parking garages and stairwells. On top of these, the LT300 has a Data Hold function for note taking as well as the capability to provide color-corrected and cosine measurements. With all these features, this item makes it to best light meter list.
2. Dr.Meter LX1010B 100,000 Light Meter with LCD Display
- Display: 3-1/2 digit 18mm LCD
- Ranges: 0 - 100,000 Lux
- Accuracy: ±5%
- Sampling rate: 0.4second
- Power: 9V battery
This particular product is a digital lux meter that can measure up to 100, 000 lux and is works well when it comes to checking luminance level and measuring how much light is present on a given area. The LX1010B gives highly accurate results and is designed with an LCD display to read and interpret data right away. It also notifies the user of over-range and low battery level. Moreover, it has data memory so it will be easier to check previous results.
3. Leaton Digital Luxmeter / Digital Illuminance Light Meter lux meter with LCD Display
- The digital light meter will allow you to measure the lighting in an area
- The digital light meter uses a 9V battery(not included); Accurate up to 200,000Lux +/- 5%
- Resolution: 0.1Lux / 0.01Fc, Accuracy:±4%,Measurement speed: 2 times / second,Units: Lux & Fc
- Hold function, Auto range & Manual range,Auto Power OFF: After approx.15 minutes
- Low power of battery detecting,Operating Environment: 14 to 122℉(-10 to 50℃), 10%~90%RH
Another item that is fitted to be considered the best light meter in its category is this digital lux meter that is very affordable and packed with attractive features. This model is equipped with a Hold Data button for easy note taking of results. The LCD display is large enough to be read and this light meter is also easy to use. Compact and lightweight, this digital light meter fits inside the pocket and is convenient to carry around and operate.
4. New Sekonic L-308S-U Flashmate Lightmeter
- Pocket-sized Digital Meter for Incident and Reflected Flash and Ambient Light Readings. Smallest digital flash-meter for reflective and incident light readings in ambient or electronic flash lighting conditions.
- Exposures accurate down to a tenth-of-a-stop for both ambient and electronic flash light readings in full-stop mode. Meter can also display shutter-speeds and apertures in half or third-stop increments to mirror the exposure settings on your camera.
- At ISO 100, the ambient EV range is 0 to 19.9, flash f/stops range from f/1.4 to f/90.9 with a shutter-speed span of 60-seconds to 1/8000th-of-a-second (1 sec to 1/500th for flash).
- Pocket-sized, and easy to stow away. The L-308S measures 2.5"W x 4.3"H x 0.9"D (63mmW x 110mmH x 22mmD), and weighs in at 3.4 ounces (95g).
- 1-Year Warranty, extendable at no charge to 3 years total (USA only) after registration, backed by our outstanding customer support team.
Great for professional use, this model is an investment because it is packed with features and built for extensive use. Compact and lightweight, this light meter is excellent to use. This pocket-sized digital meter has many uses, including ambient light, reflected flash and incident readings. Using this device results to accurate exposures since the readings provided can be in full, half or in increments to mimic the exposure displays of cameras. The results given by this device are accurate and reliable, thus this is on the best light meter list worth buying. Moreover, this particular item comes with one-year warranty that can be extended to three years.
It always helps to have an idea before making a light meter purchase. By taking note of this list, you can have the best light meter for less.