Best Turn Tables Buyers Guide 2017-2018
Digital may be the norm these days, but analog remains strong where record players are concerned. This explains why turn tables still exist and vinyl records are not just part of history. In fact, it is making a huge comeback, what with a lot of people feeling nostalgic about it.
Many also claimed that listening to vinyl allows them to disconnect from the digital world. So it’s not a surprise that the number of turntables on the market have significantly increased. If you have the opportunity to visit large international Hi Fi shows, you will be amazed at the hundreds of models you will see.
Regardless of the variety of options, you should settle for nothing less but the best turn table. It is important to know that there are differences between turntables, some of which may be minor than others. What you should keep in mind is that record players are not created equal, and the best kind will have an advantage over those that fall into the entry-level and mid-range category.
Why is it important to have the best and high-end turntable?
- Impressive sound quality
There are many factors that affect audio output, such as the deck and vibration management. The best manufacturers take these problems into account and build a turntable that produces unrivaled music quality. The kind of quality that you can easily mistake for real voices and instruments. Instead of just listening from a vinyl, you would feel like you are right in front of an orchestra or in a theater watching the opera. The best turntable has amazing musicality, transient speed, and dynamics.
- High-grade materials
The only way a turntable can produce high-grade sound quality is the careful selection of the materials used, such as superior quality acrylic. Every part that makes up the record player is also carefully chosen from the platter and main bearing to the tone arm and motor.
- High standards of workmanship
A turn table with two plinths or platforms may be heavier, but they offer the best quality in sound and overall construction. If the main bearing, platter, cartridge, and tone arm are built into the top platform, the vibrations on the turntable are effectively isolated from any outside interference.
Some manufacturers also focus on producing an optimal low-friction oil film by machining bearings and then hone them by hand. In some cases, the longer the design time the better the turn table is.
- Excellent features
Most high-end turntables are operated manually, where the needle is placed on the vinyl record manually. You could end up scratching the record if you don’t have a steady hand. But you have an automatic and semi-automatic option.
Some of the best record players also offer 3 different rotational speeds, allowing you to play singles at 45 RPM, EPs at 33 RPM, and 10-inch vinyl with wider grooves at 78 RPM.
Most importantly, the best turntables are expandable and/or made of parts that are upgradeable. A platter that supports additional dampening to reduce vibration. A high-quality tone arm that ensures accuracy and consistency when playing music. A stylus that will work for 1000 hours or so and is easily upgradeable.
Now that you know why best is the best way to go, take a look at some of the best pick in turn tables below.
Best Turn Tables Our Top Choices
Audio Technica AT-LP60BK-BT Fully Automatic Bluetooth Wireless Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable, Black
- Rediscover your classic 33-1/3 and 45 RPM records on this affordable, fully automatic belt-drive turntable
- Connect wirelessly to Bluetooth-equipped audio devices or to wired audio systems and speakers via included dual RCA output cable
- Up to 8 different Bluetooth device profiles can be stored in system memory for quick connections
- Platter is made of anti-resonance, die-cast aluminum to minimize vibration
- Features Integral Audio-Technica Dual Magnet phono cartridge with replaceable diamond stylus
It may not be exactly cheap, but it is budget friendly in the very sense of the word. That is you get what you paid for, but nothing shabby at all. For its price point, this record player connects wirelessly to speakers and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. But it does have built-in pre-amplifier that you can use if you want to switch to a wired connection.
It has a die-cast aluminum platter with the anti-resonance feature, an integral dual moving magnet phono cartridge, and a stylus that you can easily replace. It is shipped with a dual RCA output cable.
Now, do you see why this turntable is a budget-friendly choice?
Fluance High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Dual Magnet Cartridge, Elliptical Diamond Stylus, Belt Drive, Built-in Preamp, Adjustable Counterweight & Anti-Skating, Solid Wood Cabinet RT81
- PURE ANALOG LISTENING EXPERIENCE - Premium components allow this high fidelity belt driven turntable to recreate the performance the way the artist intended
- HIGH PERFORMANCE CARTRIDGE - The Audio Technica AT95E featuring a diamond elliptical tipped stylus is designed to track your record grooves with greater precision & accuracy for high definition audio
- SUPERIOR RECORD TRACKING - Enjoy perfect playback using the balanced aluminum S-Type tonearm ensuring the stylus is rested deep in your record's groove, producing every audio detail indistinguishable from the original recording
- SOLID WOOD PLINTH - The beautiful walnut finished cabinet is crafted from solid engineered (MDF) wood, incorporates isolation feet, an aluminum platter and a rubber slip mat which results in superior isolation from unwanted vibrations
- CAPTIVATING SIGNAL CLARITY - Incorporating a high quality built-in Texas Instruments preamp, ground terminal and gold plated RCA line outputs that ensures warm, true sound
You have to admit that the features that come with this particular record player, definitely make it top of the line. Made up of premium components, it is designed to provide you with an audio output that recreates an artist’s actual performance.
The combination of the high-performance AT95E Audio Technica cartridge and precise tracking stylus leaves little doubt that this turntable can produce high definition audio. This is further supported by the solid audio-grade (MDF) wood used with the cabinet, an aluminum platter, isolation feet, and a rubber slipmat, which all work together to eliminate any unwanted vibrations.
Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable in Silver
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Included Components: Headshell/cartridge
- AC line cord
- dual RCA (female) to 3.5 mm (1/8") mini-plug (male) stereo adapter cable
- dual RCA (female) to 3.5 mm (1/8") mini-plug (female) stereo adapter cable
What makes this turntable from Audio-Technica the editor’s choice is its excellent features packed into a device with a slim profile. It has an internal stereo phono preamplifier, 3 selectable rotational speeds, and an S-shaped tone arm with an adjustable height, counterweight, and anti-skate. It also comes with a USB cable that you can use to connect to your computer.
Best turn table under 200$
Sony PSLX300USB USB Stereo Turntable
No products found.
This record player is the perfect choice for someone with a shaky hand or has yet to learn how to place the needle without causing damage to the vinyl. A fully automatic operation means you just need to push a button and the tonearm will move all by itself. It supports two rotational speeds at 33 ⅓ and 45 RPM and comes with a belt drive system, built-in phono preamp, and a USB audio output.
Crosley CR6232A-BR Nomad Portable USB Turntable with Software for Ripping & Editing Audio, Brown
- Portable, belt driven turntable plays 3 speeds: 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM records
- USB-enabled and included software for ripping and editing audio for PC or Mac
- Auxiliary input, RCA output, and headphone jack
- Fabric wrapped, wood style cabinet with chrome snap closures
- Diamond stylus NP5 needle
Built inside a wood style cabinet that is vinyl wrapped and comes with a chrome snap closure, you can easily pick up the Crosley CR6232A-BR and take it anywhere with you. With 3 rotational speeds of 33 1/3, 45, and 78 RPM, you don’t have to limit your choice of vinyl records. It features a belt drive system, an NP5 needle, auxiliary input, RCA output, USB connection, and a headphone jack. What is even better is that it comes with audio ripping and editing software.
Turntable for Vinyl Records by Connected Essentials with USB, Belt Drive and Built-In Pre Amp
- Belt Drive Turntable with Balanced Tone Arm, Adjustable Counter Weight, Anti-Skate and Magnetic Cartridge
- USB Turntable for Vinyl Records with Output for Digital Conversion to MP3 (Mac & Windows Compatible)
- 2 Speed Turntable (Record Player) - 33 1/3 and 45 RPM with Auto Stop (Switchable)
- High Quality Build for Appearance and Sound with Removable Dust Cover
- 1 Year Warranty for Faults and Manufacturer Defects
Although this turntable only supports two rotational speeds – 33 ⅓ and 45 RPM, it delivers high-quality sound, which is really what matters. It has a belt drive system, a balanced tone arm, magnetic cartridge, USB output for digital conversion, and auto stop feature. With a solid build quality and a removable dust cover, this record player is sure to last.
Best turn table for beginners on a budget under 100$
Musitrend Vinyl Record Player Classic Portable Suitcase 3 Speed Stereo Turntable with Built-in Speakers, PC Recorder, Headphone Jack, RCA line out, Black
No products found.
This turntable is considered the best among the portable kind, what with its clever design and is lightweight. Sporting a suitcase design and weighing less than 6 lbs., moving the party would not be a problem. It supports 3 rotational speeds and comes with an analog-to-digital converter, built-in stereo speakers, auxiliary input, RCA output, and a headphone jack.
ION Audio Air LP | 3-Speed Belt-Drive Wireless-Streaming Turntable with AutoStop for Use with Bluetooth-Enabled Speakers
- Unleash your record collection stream your vinyl wirelessly via Bluetooth; simply pair the turntable with your speaker and enjoy fuss free connectivity with a 10M range. (Maximum range will be achieved when using devices with Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.)
- Connectivity covered discretely located RCA ports for playback through an existing wired speaker system and a 1/8 inch headphone output for private listening
- The style driven centerpiece of your listening experience 1/8 inch aux input and included cable to convert (or stream wirelessly) from other media sources including cassette players/CD players; plus, the elegant piano Black finish makes Ion Audio air LP an ideal addition to any room
- Play your entire record collection plays and converts 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM records (78 RPM stylus sold separately)
- Update your library convert tracks into digital files via USB onto your PC or Mac with the included Ion Audio EZ conversion software
This vinyl player connects to any device that is Bluetooth-enabled and can play records of 33 1/3, 45, and 78 RPM speeds. You can connect it to a stereo system using the RCA output, and stream music from other audio sources using the ⅛-input auxiliary input. Using the software converter and USB cable, you can also use this turntable to convert vinyl records to digital files.
Victrola Nostalgic Classic Wood 6-in-1 Bluetooth Turntable Entertainment Center, Graphite
No products found.
With this record player, you get more than just a turntable because it comes with a built-in FM radio, CD player, and… wait for it …a cassette player. Yes, it gives you every reason to be nostalgic and reminisce those days where your favorite music comes from tapes.
The vinyl player supports 3 rotational speeds and comes with built-in stereo speakers, auxiliary input for music streaming from any non-Bluetooth device, a headphone jack, and RCA Aux-in. Because it has built-in Bluetooth, you can connect it wirelessly to any Bluetooth-enabled device.
Turn tables come in different varieties. If you stick to those categorized as the best options, you are sure to get your money’s worth. So don’t settle for anything less.