5 Options for the Most Accurate Watch You Can Buy
For some, getting a watch means having a device on you during the day that can tell time. However, there’s a group who not only want a tool for knowing what hour it is, but one that can do so accurately. So what is the most accurate watch you can buy?
A List of Most Accurate Watch Options
1. Bulova Accutron II Snorkel
- Chronograph functions with 60 second, 60 minute and 1/10 of a second subdials; date window between 4:00 and 5:00; ultra-high frequency
- Gunmetal dial with white and red hands and silver tone and white hour markers; luminous; rotating inner bezel; mineral crystal; gunmetal ion-plated stainless steel case and bracelet
- Japanese-quartz Movement
- Case Diameter: 44mm
- Water resistant 200m (660ft): in general, suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports, but not diving
The first Accutron model that Bulova created was sold in October 1960. A 360 hertz turning fork was used for the timekeeping element instead of a balance wheel. The fork was powered by a one-transistor electronic oscillator circuit thus making it the first “electronic watch.” The Accutron was a pioneer in modern quartz watches and it was accurate up to a minute per month which was better than what mechanical watches of the time offered.
Fast forward to the Accutron II Snorkel. This model uses a 262 kHz ultra-high frequency quartz movement and is catered towards divers. The watch features a Milanese mesh bracelet and is water resistant up to 200 meters.
2. Tissot PR 100 COSC
- Sapphire crystal - the triumph of modern science - most scratch resistant material on the market
- Quartz movement with analog display and sapphire crystal dial window
- Date calendar water-resistant, luminous
- Stainless steel case with black dial
- Water resistant to 10 ATM / 100 meters / 330 feet : suitable for snorkeling as well as swimming but not diving
Like Bulova, Tissot is another Swiss watch making company and one that has been a go-to source for timepieces. When looking for options for the most accurate watch to buy, consider this model. It uses an ETA F06.411 “Precidrive” movement which makes it a high accuracy quartz watch.
The PR 100 COSC comes in three designs, but the variant with the black dial, stainless steel rim and leather band stands out as it can be used for casual occasions as well as more formal occasions. This model is 9mm thick and has a 39mm case.
3. Certina DS-2 Chronograph
Certina is another Swiss watchmaker that uses an ETA Precidrive movement to achieve higher accuracy in time telling. This model can achieve a plus or minus of 20 seconds a year.
The DS-2 has a 41mm case and features a couple of green accents: the seconds hand, the 12-hour and 30-minute sub-dial hands. The split seconds indicator as well as the chapter ring also bear green accents.
This model uses an integrated circuit in order to measure the temperature of the quartz crystal in order to keep it accurate according to COSC standards.
4. Casio G-Shock Gulfman
- Case size 51.0 mm x 46.0-mm
- Accuracy Less than ±15 seconds
- Shock structure Resist
- 20 BAR
Unlike the first three items on this list, the G-Shock Gulfman from Casio is a radio-controlled quartz watch. While this model can tell time accurately, it’s rather dependent on radio signals. In short, your watch needs to be able to receive radio signals in order to tell accurate time. This is a good watch but there are some areas where it can’t reach like being out on the ocean.
5. Citizen Skyhawk
- Black Stainless Steel Watch With Black Dial
- Water Resistant To 660 Feet (200 M)
- Japanese Quartz Movement With Analog Display
- 48 Millimeters Stainless Steel Case With Mineral Dial Window
This is another radio-controlled quartz watch. There are different variations of this model. One is the Eco-Drive which is made of stainless steel with black and orange accents. The watch uses light-powered Eco-Drive Japanese Quartz movement which charges the device when exposed to natural or indoor lighting. This model is also resistant to water up to 200 meters.