5 Best Hunting GPS under $1000
Whether you’re hunting on familiar or unfamiliar territory, it pays to know where you're going. This is where the best hunting GPS come in handy.
Best hunting GPS under $1000
- Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K with High-Sensitivity GPS and GLONASS Receiver
- Sunlight Readable 2.6 inches color display. Display size : 1.43 x 2.15 inches and 2.6 inch diag (6.6 centimeter). Battery life : 16 hours. Water rating IPX7
- Expanded Internal Memory 8GB.Display resolution 160 x 240 pixels. Interface: high speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
- DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM Use with 2 traditional AA batteries (best with Polaroid AA batteries), or the optional rechargeable NiMH battery pack that can be charged while inside the device.Weight 8.1 ounce (230 grams) with batteries
- Receive Smart Notifications* and pair with optional ANT+ sensors, such as heart rate monitor, Tempe temperature sensor, speed/cadence, or use to control your VIRB action camera (64s/64st only)
- Wirelessly upload data to Garmin Connect and view on smartphone, plus share activities as they happen with Live Track (64s/64st only). 3 axis compass with barometric altimeter.Routes:200
One of the best handheld GPS devices, the Garmin GPSMAP 64st is quite the powerhouse. It provides accurate and reliable information in terms of GPS map that you can overlook the fact that it is not touch screen. Thanks to the use of a high-sensitivity technology of the GLONASS systems and GPS provides the accuracy that other regular navigation system fails to deliver. The device is preloaded with high quality Birds-Eye (3d) Images and TOPO US 100K maps. It can receive texts and emails, and can be connected with your iPhone. Construction-wise, the GPS is built for the outdoors. It’s sturdy enough to withstand the elements, and the absence of touch screen features means there is nothing to break.
- Magellan CX0310SGXNA eXplorist 310 Waterproof Hiking GPS
- 2.2-inch LCD display
- Rugged IPX-7 waterproof GPS receiver, sunlight-readable color screen and high-sensitivity SiRFstarIII GPS. Easy operation with simple main menu, intuitive contextual menus, and vibrant graphics--ready to use right out of the box
- Includes a detailed road network, water features, urban and rural land use, and a realistic shaded relief background
- 18 hours of battery life and power-saving features let you go strong for an entire day without stopping to replace the batteries
- Paperless geocaching lets you download and view more than 20 unique characteristics of each cache, as well as view, search, and filter on the device
Although designated as a hiking GPS, it works just as well for hunting activities. Similar to the previous model, it doesn’t use touch screen, but a color LCD. It is fitted with physical buttons for easy navigation, allowing you to operate the device with just one hand. It is built for high-impact resistance, suitable for outdoor use. The GPS device is preloaded with updated maps, including parks, waterways and even airports. It also has an option to update the maps by connecting it to your PC.
- Garmin Montana 680t
- PRELOADED GEOCACHES - 250,000 preloaded worldwide geocaches from Geocaching.com
- SEE YOUR SURROUNDINGS - Includes a 1-year Birdseye Satellite Imagery subscription1
- GPS AND GLONASS - With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Hotfix satellite prediction and GLONASS support, Montana locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its location even in heavy cover and deep canyons
- TRACK MANAGER - Ability to organize and navigate through waypoints/routes/track logs (easily start/stop recording track logs)
- CAPTURE THE MOMENT - 8 megapixel digital camera for higher quality images and better resolution; geotagged with coordinates automatically, allowing you to
Thanks to its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, the Garmin Montana 680t can locate your position with speed and precision, and maintain its location even in deep canyons and heavy cover. It also comes with an 8MP digital camera that also automatically geotag coordinates. With this device, you can capture the moment and not to get lost at the same time. Other features include a pre-loaded 100K US topographic maps, Basecamp software to help organize your trip, and the ability to share points and routes wirelessly with other hunters using a GPS of the same brand.
- GARMIN eTrex 20X GPS
- UPGRADED DISPLAY - Features a 2.2" 65K color sunglight readable display offering increased resolution (240 x 320 pixels)
- LOAD MORE MAPS - Large 3.7 GB of internal memory and microSD card slot lets you load a variety of maps, including TOPO 24K, HuntView, BlueChart g2, City Navigator NT and BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required)
- PRELOADED BASEMAP - Includes a worldwide basemap with shaded relief. Display size:1.4 x 1.7 inches
- KEEP YOUR FIX - With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, HotFix satellite prediction and GLONASS support, eTrex locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its location even in heavy cover and deep canyons
Packed with more improvements than the previous models, the GARMIN eTrex 20X GPS has a bigger display with greater resolution of 240 x 320 display pixels. At 2.2-inch color display, readability is significantly improved. From the previous capacity, its internal memory has also increased to 3.7GB. Combined with a MicroSD card slot, it can hold more maps and a huge variety of them, including BlueChart g2, City Navigator NT, HuntView, and TOPO 24K. No doubt it is one of the best hunting GPS on the market. Other features include a worldwide basemap with shaded relief, and WAAS-enabled GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONASS support.
- Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
- Features high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix for improved performance and reception in heavy tree cover or deep canyons
- Keeps track of routes, tracks and waypoints, and heart rate with add on heart rate monitor (sold separate). Uses standard AAA batteries. 2 required.
- TracBack feature retraces user's path on the easy-to-read LCD display;Display resolution 100 x 64 pixels;Battery life Up to 17 hours in GPS mode;Track Log 10000. Display size : 1.42 x 0.91 inches
- Supports dual position readout so user can view current location in multiple formats. Audible tones. Hold the compass level when navigating to ensure maximum accuracy
- Features trip computer, sunrise/sunset times, hunting/fishing information, electronic compass and barometric altimeter
Another hiking GPS on the list, one of the best features of the Garmin Foretrex 401 is its water resistance, making it suitable for hunting and fishing. It is equipped with features relevant to the outdoor activity you want to indulge in, such as an electronic compass, hunting/fishing information, sunrise/sunset times, barometric altimeter and a trip computer.