Reviewing The 5 Best Portable Stoves
Whether you are going on a short weekend getaway camping with friends or embarking on an expedition, you should definitely consider the luxury of hot food and drink to ensure your trips will be more enjoyable. With the plethora of more ambitious and affordable camping stoves out there on the market today, choosing the best portable stove for your needs can be quite daunting. Well, we have narrowed down the choices to make this task easier for you.
1. Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stoves with Piezo Ignition
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Made of aluminum alloy and stainless steel which can stand high temperature and weight
- COMPACT AND COLLAPSIBLE: Design is perfect for ultralight camping and backpacking. Come with carrying case for enhanced portability
- BROAD COMPATIBLITY: Compatible with any 7/16 thread single butane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters (EN 417)
- FLAME CONTROL: Adjustable control valve for fast maximum heat output all the way down to a simmer quickly and efficiently
- LEAVE NO TRACE: Adheres to "Leave No Trace" principles set forth by the US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and National Park Service. Burns clean, with no debris or soot left behind. 1 Year WARRANTY
Built with combined stainless steel and aluminum alloy, this stove is considered as one of the lightest and most portable on the market. With a carrying case included in the purchase, it has become more portable, as it can simply be tossed in a bag without worry. Aside from its high portability, it is also quick to ignite and consistently strong with its Piezo Ignition system that allows it to have a quick ignition and a strong valve connection that ensures flame would stay consistent and strong, even when set from high to low. Moreover, this stove produces a very fuel-efficient flame that can make a disposable butane canister last for days and can accommodate for up to a 7-inch diameter pan.
However, there will be a few downsides to using a stove like this, such as the height, which is quiet tall when put on top of a fuel canister. Take note that an 8-ounce can is roughly 4 inches high, and with this stove being 3 inches in height, finding a heat shield might be an issue. Another issue would be the igniter probe, which is a bit wonky, even seeming that it would break.
Nevertheless, all the pros make this a good contender as the best portable stove for any camper.
2. Coleman Camping Stove
- Wind BlockTM panels help shield burners from wind and adjust for various pan sizes
- PerfectFlowTM technology provides consistent performance, even in extreme conditions
- PerfectHeatTM technology for more efficient cooking with less fuel
- 20,000 total BTUs of cooking power
- Fits a 12-in. and 10-in. pan at the same time
Design is one of the most important things to look into when finding the best portable stove, and it is true with this one from Coleman—it is even very easy to set up. Its gas feed tube is just screwed onto the gas cylinder and then into its right side. However, it only makes the squat 16.4-ounce tanks to be usable, but it is possible to obtain an adapter and hose to run the stove from refillable tanks. Also take note that the proper disposable tank does not fit into its cabinet for travel, so you must carry the fuel cylinders separately. This may be a real issue if you are looking for maximum compactness. Throw-away cylinders may pose a problem if you are carrying the equipment to remote regions where there is no trash-pickup service. You can easily light this stove with a match or other lighting devices.
3. Dpower Foldable Camping Stove with Piezo Ignition (4.8 Ounce)
- Strong & Sturdy: Made of aluminum alloy and stainless steel, with low center of gravity and wide base, can stand high temperature and weight.
- What You Get: foldable camping stove, our guaranteed 12-month warranty (quality problems under normal use) from the date of purchase and friendly customer service.
- Compatible: Use with straight butane or butane-propane mixed fuel canisters with threaded 7/16 NS Lindal Valve (EN417).
- Efficient & Easy: Boil 2 pints of water in 5 minutes. The valve is designed to adjust flame.
- Piezoelectric Ceramic Ignition: 1-1.2 million times.
This is a remote canister stove that is lighter than most sit-on-top stoves. As such, it sits lower to the ground and is more stable when you cook with bigger pots. Also, it is more efficient, as it can be fitted with a copper block valve and a metal mesh gas line. Its valve is designed for precise adjustments of flame for outdoor cooking and fits common screw-on valve canister fuel of butane or butane-propane mixtures. When it comes to convenience and safety, this Dpower stove is foldable and ultra-light, which means it is easy to carry, and is safe and easy in terms of changing canisters during cooking, with its 11-inch stainless steel mesh gas pipe. The stove also sports an anti-slip design that can accommodate up to a 30-cm diameter pan in a sturdy way.
While all its features seem to make for the best portable stove, it is important to know that some users had concerns of its hose coming lose or degrading over time, since it does not appear to be removable. Also, the flame would not perform well in the wind, which is normal for this type of stove.
4. Camp Chef Explorer 2-Burner Stove
- THE ORIGINAL CAMP COOKING SYSTEM- The stove is just a start; mix and match accessories like BBQ Grill boxes, professional griddles, reversible cast iron grills, and even artisan pizza ovens to create the camp kitchen you want.
- 2-PATENTED ALUMINUM BURNERS- Highly efficient "blue flame" burners with output of 30,000 BTU each. Connects to a bulk tank with included regulator and can be adapted (part sold separately) to disposable propane bottles or natural gas.
- FITS 14" SYSTEM ACCESSORIES- Look for the blue flame logo on your Camp Chef stove, then find accessories with the same logo to create your camp kitchen. On this Double Burner Stove, use two single-burner accessories side by side or one double-burner accessory. Adjust air shutter open until burner shows blue flame
- EASY COOKING EXPERIENCE- Features 448 square inches of cooking space for groups of all sizes, a 3-sided windscreen, and appliance-style knobs for easy heat adjustment. Outdoor cooking has never been easier than with the Explorer series.
- CAMP CHEF QUALITY- Camp Chef stands behind the quality of their outdoor cooking products, from stoves to pellet grills. You won't find more durable, high-performing cooking gear anywhere for camping, tailgating, catering, hunting, back patio, and more.
Like any other portable stove, this burner is there for you whether you are cooking outdoors or needing a way to fix a meal in an emergency. With strong performance capabilities, this contender for the best portable stove is considered as a true outdoor appliance, with a 3-sided windscreen to shield the breeze to come your way and a single 20-pound tank that can keep it going for 15 hours.
However, the front, center and angled-down location of the MIP fitting is in an awkward place it could be. Typically, users are going to have the tank to the rear or side, so they can have a fitting location aimed in a direction that makes sense. As for its build, the hose is subject to getting spills on it and having a side strain from trying to locate it to the aft or side or aft. Furthermore, the burner valves are exposed to cooking spills, but a metal shield can help solve this issue.
5. Coleman Triton Series 2-Burner Stove | 22,000 BTUs
- 11,000 BTUs per burner, 22,000 total BTUs
- Large cooking area fits one 10-in. (25.4 cm) pan and one 12-in. (30.48 cm) pan at the same time
- Independent, easily-adjustable controls range from simmer to boil
- Durable steel construction withstands rugged cooking conditions
- InstaStart push-button matchless ignition
The durable burner stove from Coleman has powerful burners that allow for great cooking performance—it boils water very quickly as it allows you to adjust the temperature from simmer to a boil. Its large cooking area can fit one 10-inch pan and one 12-inch pan, and its PerfectHeat Technology gets the temperatures just right. For windy environments, this stove can still perform well with its WindBlock Shields, which keep the wind from blowing the flames, and its PerfectFlow Pressure Control System, which keeps the heat steady on each of the high-performance 11,000-BTU burners.
The Triton is also efficient with a 1-hour runtime on high using a single 16.4-ounce propane cylinder. It features a slim and portable design, so when you are done, it is easy to clean and keep. This is made much easier with its removable heavy-duty, nickel-chrome grates and its built-in handle that will have you carrying this lightweight stove effortlessly. Adding its durable steel construction that can withstand rugged cooking conditions, this stove is definitely perfect for camping, tailgating, hunting and during emergencies.
The only thing that seems to be missing is the instant-start ignition button, which means that you have to spend more to get another model with such feature, the Coleman 2000012034 InstaStart Triton Stove. Optional griddle accessory packs away inside stove are sold separately.
There is a lot of reasons why these products can be considered as the best portable stove for a weekend getaway, including compactness (the most obvious), reasonable price tags, minimum carbon footprint and additional components that would prove useful in any camping environment.